Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Hero Rush - Obstacle Race

It's been a few days since I've posted. I know you have all been losing sleep wondering if i ran at all this past week! hahaha ok well it's been busy, but I did get my first obstacle race out of the way this past weekend. The Hero Rush out in Maryland. Just under 5 miles of over 17 obstacles and some running. It was the first of many obstacle races to come. I was blessed to get to do it with my body building BFF and a few others. She got me through the obstacles and I got her through all the running. I gotta say it was the MOST FUN I've had in a very long time! Sure we got tired at some point, but there were a few backups at a couple obstacles that allowed us catch our breath. 
It all began running up a few stairs and sliding down a fire pole. Not gonna lie, those stairs were pretty narrow and freaked me out a bit. As soon as we touched the ground we were off and the race began. First obstacle was hopping/climbing over a wooden wall, through a little jungle of doors where you had to find an open one to run through and finally climb through a window. Next was what they called Crowd Control, running through some tires on the ground and then a few hanging hoping not to bump any or they bumped you out or down to the ground. Those things are not lightweight! Most of the running was on a trail so it wasn't smooth pavement. Plenty of potholes and mud with hardly any flat surfaces. Definitely a lot of inclines(my favorite! haha). <I wont go through every obstacle as I can't even really remember them all myself, but i'll go through a few listed on their website. It's a lovely thing this thing they call the internet!>  I remember the entanglement obstacle. That's prob where i got most of the bruises on my knee. Picture large tubes meant to be crawled through and then picture random bungee cords spread out across it all the way through. Just one big mess that i had to somehow get myself through only to find another one just like it at the end. I definitely got stuck a few times! Hoarder's Hell was interesting... basically you climb a ladder into a "house" consumed in smoke. I remember getting towards the top and all i could hear is one girls calling out for help. I'm thinking she may have had a fear of heights. Got into the house, found her and helped her out the other side. Once on the other side, you had to climb down except there was no ladder. It was some kind of rope netting. not too bad, but def nice to finally get out of all that smoke! The Stretcher Evac is where my BFF and I were able to come together and put our skills to good use. Picture 2 heavy sandbags tied on a stretcher. You and a buddy had to carry this "person" over a wooden wall, crawl under some barbed wire dragging the person with you and back over another wooden wall finishing with going over more barbed wire. This person was not light! Nope, but we did it. There were a few other dead weight obstacles like carrying 2 tires over your back over and under a few walls/fences. There were times we had to run with fire hoses and drag a hose with a tire tied to the end. The Basement Entrapment was probably the most frightening for me out of all of them. There was no harness to ease my worries of falling face down to the ground after having climbed a tall ladder to the top. Imagine 3 wide ropes. 2 up top for your arms/hands and on in between that you WALK DOWN on. Those who know me, know that I have terrible coordination. I saw my life flash before my eyes with each step. A little dramatic you say? Truth is what I say! The water obstacles were more fun than obstacles really. A nice refresher to have throughout the run and the best part... jumping over fire just before the finish line! Seriously, I don't think I've ever jumped so high in my life, but i loved it. I practically sprinted to grab my medal. Much deserved and of course you know I was looking for my free banana before meeting the rest of our group  :)
I'm not gonna say i survived. I'm gonna say i thrived! i look like someone threw me in a bag and then kicked the crap out of me. So bruised up, but each one earned with pride! Here's a little collage i put together from the before and after shots. Website is supposed to post pics of the obstacles later this week. I'm dying to see if I made it into any action shots! Well the good news is, with that out of the way I am more than ready to take on the Warrior Dash in a couple weeks! BRING IT ON!!



No comments:

Post a Comment