Monday, May 13, 2013

110%

Susan G Komen Race - DONE
Race for the Cure

Can I just say, this whole waking up at the butt crack of dawn on a Saturday is getting really old?! You know, I say that every weekend and yet I continue to sign myself up for more! OK so maybe I hate that i had to be out of my house at 5am to head to DC for a 3 mile run, BUT it was for a very good cause and I had a GREAT time! I definitely tried to do this one for time. I finished at 32:11 ...not my best time, but definitely not my worst! I'll take it. Just gotta keep working on it. We did luck out with the weather, though. Not a single drop of rain until we were all done and partying it up with the Zumba crew that was on stage. Saw a lot of neat costumes and got to see several survivors. The back of their pink shirts read "proud to be your inspiration." loved it! Those women are real fighters and they were totally my inspiration! I did especially enjoy the run around the Lincoln memorial. That's probably the ONLY reason i'd love to live in DC. To be able to have that spectacular view as part of my daily runs. I suppose I could just metro my butt out there a few mornings and do it anyway, huh? but why, when i can just do a quick 5 miles near my house which already has beautiful trails? decisions decisions. As long as we keep running, I guess it's all good!

-----

I'm next!  :)
So, a few days ago I was asked to join a paddle team participating in the DC Dragon Boat Race this coming weekend. I have NEVER in my life paddled anything. I've been meaning to try kayaking, but have yet to get out there and do it. I have heard of how intense these workouts can be, so I was actually really excited to be a part of the team. The races are on the 18th and 19th. Unfortunately I can only participate in the race on the 18th since I have le Warrior Dash on the 19th. I really hope i'm not too sore the next day for that either. Well, back to my story... So, I was asked to join the team since they were short a few members. I, of course, accepted instantly! I'm up for any kind of outdoorsy adventure and even more so if it involves a great workout. We got to the waterfront and training began immediately. Learning techniques wasn't so bad. The paddles were light and boat was kept in place. We were given the world's fastest Rowing 101 lesson. Not too much longer after that we were quickly taken out into the water for a real life race practice. 
That's where the real fun began. The yelling, the screaming, the pressure! The play calls! except i'm not sure what you call that in rowing... instruction yelling? my favorite... POWER - FIVE - NOW!!! everyone slams their paddle into the water about as far and hard as they can for 5 of the most powerful strokes you can possibly do. Everyone in sync of course! We have sets of 10 and sets of 20 at different levels of intensity and distance plays an important factor. The 500 meter one really had me working my arms and core out. It was a lot of fun, though. Definitely need more practice before the big race so that I can at least get used to it all. This may become a real hobby of mine. You know, like my running, hiking, biking, boxing, etc ...seriously, can I just live outside for the rest of my life?! I could just use a friends house for showering purposes lol I'm really excited to see how I end up doing on Saturday. I really hope i don't let them down. From what I heard at practice, they always place Gold *gulp* 

No comments:

Post a Comment