Thursday, May 16, 2013

Fitspiration

While at rowing practice tonight, two wonderful things happened making this evening very productive and even more motivating. Since I was asked to be a part of this team somewhat last minute, I only have about a week to learn the basics of rowing/paddling before the race this weekend. The club was nice enough to accommodate a couple of us to join another team's practice session this afternoon. The 4 newbs(myself included) were asked to sit at the back of the boat so the trainer could help us. Unfortunately, our trainer was very soft spoken and if you've ever been on a Dragon Boat or any other boat at that, you know a loud voice is necessary for instructional purposes. I remembered from my last practice that I need to keep my body forward and head up always looking to the front of the boat to make sure I stay in sync with the stroke pair. So that's what i did. I kept up with them the whole practice or at least attempted to, but I remember hearing on 3 different occasions "look at Denise..." or "do you see what Denise is doing?" Naturally, I assumed I must have had terrible form and the reason I was being pointed out was for more of a what not to do demonstration. I will say it was a great workout and I'd really love to join the club and take this up as a hobby IF my crazy race schedules allows time for it! Well, we finally make it back to the dock and on our way out for the night, when the trainer approached me

Trainer: Denise this isn't your first time, right? You've done this before.
Me: Right. It's my second practice. I was here on Saturday for my first one ever. 
Trainer: Yea, but that was only like 30 min on the water. So this is your first time ever doing this? a race.
Me: yea...  <insert sheepish smile>
Trainer: Well you have excellent form! You really did a great job. Looks like you really figured this thing out. You should join our team."

What do you even say to that? Seriously, though! I probably turned bright red. I mean hey who doesn't love a compliment? Me apparently. I'm terrible at taking compliments. I never know what to say. I hope i said thanks, but honestly it's very possible i just stood there looking at her like a deer in headlights. I'm not sure how I would join her team though... i'm already on a team for the race! Silly, lady! haha she was very nice, though. I did love knowing i wasn't completely useless on the boat. Maybe I will actually help my team this weekend instead of being dead weight!

Well, the second thing I wanted to share was something one of the coaches screamed out to our boat when everyone was tired and exhausted. When everyone was just ready to relax and coast back to dock. You know, that's when coaches really wanna work you the hardest! Well, he took a good look at us and screamed out "if you can't use it, lose it! If you can't lose it, use it! It's just muscle, guys! Let's go!" and you know what? I loved it! It's so very true for just about anything you're doing. if you're not going to use it, why keep it? If you can't get rid of it, then you might as well use it. It's not like you're dead, right? I'm not gonna lie, it totally motivated me to keep going! 


"If you can't use it, lose it! If you can't lose it, use it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment