Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Breath of Fresh Air

"It's the only sport in the world where if a competitor falls, the others around will pick him or her up. It's the only sport in the world open to absolutely everyone, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity or any other division you can think of. It's the only occasion when thousands of people assemble, often in a major city, for a reason that is totally peaceful, healthy and well-meaning. It's the only sport in the world where no one ever boos anybody." -Runners World
It's so true when they say running is cheaper than therapy. I don't know where I'd be had i never decided to take those first few steps outside my door, but what I love most about running is basking and breathing in nature's beauty. There is no other sport that can bring me to such a state of tranquility. To be surrounded by beautiful trees, flowers and sunshine... it's really quite soothing. It's the only way I can really clear my head.
With recent events, I've lost most of the remaining little bit of faith I had in humanity(Boston Marathon attacks) and as I ran to my playlist this evening, I noticed most of my community outside doing some kind of activity. Spouses going for an evening walk together, mothers out with their daughters, kids shooting hoops and fathers playing catch or basketball with their children. Some were working in their garden while others were out riding bikes. There were definitely quite a few runners as well as individual walkers. Such an active community and what better way to keep the messages positive and the spirits lively! Active lifestyles lead to positive thoughts. Happy people don't just go around killing other people! If we could just take the initiative, get outside our box and visit or care for our neighbors, this world would be a much better place! 

Today's Fitness Goal: better my endurance on inclines to prepare for Saturday's race!



No comments:

Post a Comment