Monday, April 22, 2013

Boston Memorial Run

I remember signing up for this event. Finally a chance to pay my respects and make it a point that we must keep pushing, training, and living. I remember thinking "oh i'll be fine! The Glo Run is just a little 5k. I'll do a slow jog and salvage what i can for the 5 mile Boston Memorial Run in the morning." Yea, it totally did NOT go as planned. Aside from being forced to sprint most of the 5k, I didn't get to sleep until almost 2am from the little runner's high and then had to be out the door at 6:30am to make it to this next run. I thought very seriously about not going. I was exhausted! My friend was late to the house too, but that's OK because it meant a few more minutes of sleep! As soon as i got into the car, I told her "you know we're pretty much walking this whole thing, right? I don't even know how i'm functioning right now!" she agreed with the little bit of energy she had left as well from the lack of sleep. 
We had originally planned on making our own Amurrica shirts and topping it off with flag headbands. We decided the shirts were not so important by the time we made it back the night before and waking up early to attempt to create a masterpiece was just not going to happen. Did i mention it was quite chilly?! SO. NOT. IDEAL. We arrived at the same time as another friend of ours... I believe the final count of participants was 500 and this event was only just organized 4 days before. I thought that was pretty great! Everyone donated to help the families of the victims at the Boston Marathon Bombings. It was quite amazing to see everyone get together and show their support. More so because the planning was so last minute. Wasn't long before i was pumped and ready to start taking off running! ...or was it because i was so cold and wanted desperately to warm up? I really didn't care where the energy came from, as long as it was in me. 
The girl I went with was recovering from a recent hip injury. I promised to stay with her at the same pace even if she decided to walk. Well she did end up walking, but i kept jogging. Sure it might have been at the speed of a turtle, but i compensated with knee highs and butt kicks. Point is to keep moving right? I'm proud to say i did not walk any of those 5 miles. Maybe a lot of jogging in place, but i jogged the whole thing. I'm really quite proud of myself. I also paid for it later that day. 
Let me just say, by the time I made it home yesterday I only had energy for a shower, to change into my pajamas and post up for a Duck Dynasty marathon! It was a weekend WELL DONE! oh and did i mention our flag headbands were a big hit! We got several compliments! :)
Now, to find more runs and obstacle races. Gotta keep moving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment