Thursday, November 14, 2013

Nearly Naked Mile - PR'd

Nearly Naked Mile - Reston Town Center

Towards the end of last week I started coming down with a some kind of cold/flu. I hate hate hate being sick! Mainly because I know it means i have to put my workouts/runs on hold. Well this girl can be a bit stubborn at times and decide she wasn't going to stop. I had signed up for the Nearly Naked Mile race in Reston and figured, hey what's a mile?! I ran a half marathon for goodness sake. A mile is nothing! I'll just run it super fast and head straight home back to bed with my medicine after it's done. Well Nearly Naked Mile implies nearly naked attire. That's right. A lot of skin to bare and with me being sick it was a tough call. Major crossroad in my life. I decided to go with a t-shirt and a tutu. I know what you're thinking: Man! She's so good at this taking care of herself bit. Well let me tell you it was FREEZING cold that day. I did arrive fully layered up though with snowboard pants, a hoodie and scarf, but come time to run... the layers had to come off. By then i was so pumped and warmed up, I forgot i was sick. I decided, hey let's just sprint this thing as see what kind of time i can get! Well, I did just that and i actually PR'd. I was soooo excited, but about 15 seconds to the finish line my body was begging me to stop. Honestly, i could hear it crying from everything i was putting it through. I wanted to just come to a complete stop. I felt like i was really dying. Not because i was tired/out of breath, but because i was in pain, feeling horrible, weak, eyes burning... you get the idea, but how many people do you know that actually STOP before crossing the finish line? No. That's when you have to push yourself even more. Figured it would all be over sooner and I'd prob get a pretty good time. Well i definitely got the pretty good time. My fastest mile recorded at 8:55. Sure it's not the fastest, but it is my fastest and you know what?... i was running with the flu so don't even hate because who knows what time i would've got had i been healthy! Needless to say i nearly collapsed by the time i finished. Super nauseous. I could feel the fever coming. I raced to get my winter gear and begged to go home. I couldn't even stay for the after party or mini ceremony :(  
I am excited to share that one of the runners on my team. A friend and sister of one of my best friends actually placed #1 for fastest in our age group finishing her mile at 7:22. Now THAT is incredible!! We'll be doing more races together and i'll likely do my first FULL marathon with her next year. So despite torturing my body with all that, I was happy that i went, earned my flannel shorts, cup and PR'd. Sure, i spent the remainder of the day in bed watching movies, but TOTALLY worth and who cares... i love watching movies anyway. Here's a little snap shot of that race. Enjoy!

Instagram: Sunshine_Memoirs

No comments:

Post a Comment